Louisburgh Area Men's Shed 2020
Noticing a need in the Louisburgh community for an inclusive outlet for men to meet up, feel comfortable and perhaps share ideas and skills, a committee was formed and the national model of a Men’s Shed was adopted.
In the Spring of 2018 Louisburgh Area Men’s Shed (LAMS) was officially launched.
The Men’s Shed is a space in our community where all men regardless of age, ethnicity, background or ability, can come together to find meaning, purpose and friendship where their diversity is respected, valued and where they can comfortably use and share their practical skills and knowledge.
The Louisburgh Area Men’s Shed catchment area stretches from Lecanvey to Thallabawn and from Delphi to Drummin. There is a Membership form to register with LAMS and membership is slowly growing since its launch.
While only a year in operation the LAMS members have achieved many projects to date including:
- Participation in a Lip Sink Competition in support of a Fund raising campaign for the new Play Ground in the National School, Louisburgh (summer 2019)
- Painting of a shed on the Kilgeever Road for Louisburgh Tidy Towns (Easter 2019)
- Maintenance in the Gráinne Mhaol centre, Tidy Towns (Easter 2019)
- Obtained full Planning Permission for a MENS Shed on the Carramore Road, Louisburgh
- Restored an old Donkey Cart and donated it to Louisburgh Tidy Towns
- Organised a Mock Wedding fund raiser for the LAMS
- Triggered the development of Action Development Plans for the Cemeteries in Kilgeever and St. Catherine’s in Louisburgh in association with other main stakeholders.
- Participated in Tia Cafe’s Celebrity Chef Kitchen Takeover and raised €1,200 for the Louisburgh Order of Malta
And there are current projects underway like the restoration of a Ferguson 35x Tractor and a Horse Cart.
The community have responded very welcomely and embraced the need for LAMS as it is bringing about an important change in views about Men’s Physical and Mental well being.
There is a monster fundraising drive underway with a social night and draw of raffle prize winners taking place on 14th December 2019 in Stauntons Pub, Lecanvey.
Anyone wishing to join the Louisburgh Area Men’s Shed can contact any of the members or check out their Facebook page:
Louisburgh Area Men’s Shed